Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Changing my care

I mentioned in a previous post that after reading the book Your Best Birth I decided I wanted to have more say in the birth of our little girl. I did some research and decided I want to speak with a mid-wife and see if that could be a good fit for me. Midwives specialize in normal pregnancy and childbirth and offer a very different experience than OB's. In addition to longer visits, a choice of birthplace and a say in your birth plan, midwives also provide 6 weeks of post-natal care. To be honest with you, the more I learned, the more convinced I was that this could be a great alternative for me.

Last night I met with Safire at Kensington Midwives and am THRILLED to be transferring my care to them. Kensington Midwives offers women-centered care and I felt so comfortable sitting with Safire and talking about this pregnancy. I feel very fortunate that they were able to take me on as a patient this late in my pregnancy and am looking forward to this experience even more than before. Now all that I have to do is break up with my OB...

Oh - and in case your wondering - baby girl is doing great! She is measuring well and for the FIRST time I was able to hear her heart beat. I feel so unbelievably blessed and am completely and utterly in love.

1 comment:

  1. You will LOVE having a midwife. I had one w/my first and thanks to her, I never even needed an epidural even though I'd totally been planning to get one. She stayed with me the whole time, it was awesome!

    Thanks for the comment over at my place!

    ReplyDelete